There are many contributing factors that determine how long your boiler will last. From routine maintenance, professional services and quality of the appliance to age are all examples of such factors. Unfortunately like most things in life, eventually the boiler will come to an end. Instead of having a surprise failure and scrambling to replace the boiler, there are warning signs you can take note of and the more that apply to your boiler, the better you can prepare for its replacement. At this time, we at NY NJ A/C Connection would like to expound briefly on the warning signs your boiler is about to reach its demise.
Should I Replace My Old Boiler?
1) Leaks: The boiler is coming to the end of its lifespan if you notice it is continually leaking, or requiring additional make-up water. Keep in mind that chronic leaks can be an indicator of potential floods which will cause expensive property damage, replacing the unit before the leaks worsen can spare you the expense;
2) Increase in Repairs: An obvious sign the boiler is deteriorated is the need for frequent repairs within the last 2 years. If you have already experienced multiple repairs, they will only continue and get more pricey, the money invested in repairs might be better spent replacing the boiler all together.
3) Flame Discoloration: The color should be blue for a healthy boiler when it comes to the flame on your gas boiler. If you should notice the flame is yellow or black soot on an oil boiler, the fuel is not burning properly and carbon monoxide is being produced. Being that carbon monoxide is detrimental to your health, it is important to get everyone out of the home and call for professional assistance immediately. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that is very toxic and with carbon monoxide detectors, you can discover the problem early on.
4) Increased Energy Consumption: A helpful indication of appliances that are falling short, including the boiler can be noticing an increase in your energy consumption and power bill. The faulty boiler compensating and working harder than necessary will naturally use more energy to keep up with demand. The less efficient the boiler is, the more resources it will use, increasing utility cost.
5) Discomfort: If the boiler is not as effective as it once was, like seeing a difference in uneven temperatures throughout your home, is another sign that points to the end of your boiler. As the boiler deteriorates the more the obvious the problem will become.
6) Boiler Age: Typically, depending on the unit, a boiler can last between 10-15 years. As earlier mentioned, the boiler can last a few decades if the boiler is mad of higher quality, routine professional services are administered throughout the year such as maintenance, inspections, and tune-ups, owner care and maintenance diligence. At about 10 years, or when the warranty expires, we recommend that you take note of the boilers performance and observe any of the above mentioned signs.
Boiler Heating Services & More in Manhattan, New York
If you believe your boiler is in need of replacing, call in the professionals of NY NJ A/C Connection and we will help you find the perfect fit for you and your budget and get your new boiler installed quickly and efficiently.