Heading out or even opening the windows for some fresh air as the winter cold continues spiraling does not seem likely. In order to escape the freezing temperatures, most people and their pets stay indoors. The hair and fur shedding as well as the dead skin cells accumulate amongst the debris more so than the rest of the year. As a result, being more aware of the indoor air quality is more essential now. People with asthma, allergies, and other respiratory issues especially need to be concerned about the quality of the indoor air. Considering that, we at NY NJ A/C Connection would like to share some options to help ensure the quality doesn’t slip because of cold winter temperatures.
How to Improve Indoor Air Quality
1) Add a UV Light Disinfectant System. Instead of merely capturing the airborne particles, remove the odors, germs, bacteria, viruses, chemical residues, and toxic gases using low-voltage UV light. To disinfect the air, consider strategically installing the UV Light Systems throughout your ductwork.
2) Routinely Clean HVAC Registers and Vents. Arm yourself with a flexible duster and the vacuum and wand attachment to make a quick and efficient job of cleaning off the dust that accumulates on the vents and registers. Controlling the dust will help maintain the indoor air quality.
3) Monthly Check and Replacement of Filters. Maintaining the air filters should be done monthly, but especially during the winter months. With the added volume of hair, fur, dead skin, cells on top of the average buildup of dirt, dust, allergens, pollutants, and other contaminates, they will likely get full faster.
4) Switch to “On” on the Thermostat Fan. Give the indoor air quality a boost by flipping the thermostat to “on” because when the fan runs continuously, the indoor air is constantly being filtered. Though keep in mind that this tactic will put extra wear on the HVAC system fan and increase your power usage, thus increasing your utility bill.
5) Invest in Professional Air Duct Cleaning. The worst accumulation of dust and allergens in your home lies in places you cannot see, such as the air ducts. Professionals utilize specially engineered vacuum and spray gentle disinfectants that can help keep your ducts cleaner for months to come. With a professional cleaning, your air ducts will be a more efficient clean.
6) Additional Air Filtration Systems. Besides the UV lighting purification systems, there are other air filtration systems that can be installed to compliment your current system. They enhance the efficiency of your HVAC system by keeping the indoor air cleaner.
7) Clean the Ceiling Fan Blades Regularly. Ceiling fans are encouraged year round for their beneficial uses. Incorporate an updraft by reversing your ceiling fan direction so that the blades turn clockwise will help keep our home warmer while still adding more circulation to the air. But even in motion, the fan blades will accumulate the dust, decreasing the quality of the indoor air. By cleaning them periodically, you can avoid re-contamination of the air, and maintain the quality of the indoor air.
Furnace Inspection, Repairs, Tune Ups, Maintenance & More in Manhattan, New York
If you are looking for more information concerning the efficiency of your HVAC system or how to improve the indoor air quality in your home with a furnace tune up, call in the professionals of NY NJ A/C Connection today and let our specialists aid you in achieving your goals.