Your furnace will be busy this winter season. How will it perform? Is it time to consider replacement? Are there signs you can look for to determine if its time for a new one? NY NJ AC Connection helps you to answer these important questions.
Do I Really Need a New Furnace?
1. Your furnace is more than 15 years old. Like anything, your furnace won’s last forever. Today’s furnaces should last 20 to 30 years. If your furnace has reached the age of 15 you should start thinking about getting a new one. There are steps you can take to increase the lifespan of your furnace. The first thing you should do is make sure the breakers and shut off switches are set correctly. It’s also important to change filters that get dirty and clogged so there’s correct airflow. You can wear extra layers and turn the heat down to save money and wear and tear on your furnace. Programmable thermostats are also a great way to make your heating system more efficient. Lastly, check to make sure that your home isn’t leaking heat around windows and doors.
2. High energy bills and frequent furnace repairs. Older furnaces will need to work harder to heat your home. This will drive energy bills up and have you shelling money out for extra repairs. You will come out ahead financially when you purchase a more efficient furnace, even if there aren’t any noticeable repairs that need to be made at the moment.
3. Temperature differences; one room colder than rest of house. Not only will your furnace need to work harder when it gets older, it will also have a harder time distributing heat evenly throughout your home. This will have some rooms feeling colder than others.
4. Furnace making loud rumbling noises. Furnaces are noisy, but if noises get louder or unusual, you may need to have it replaced. Popping noises can occur when parts inside the unit heat and cool in response to temperature changes. Rattling noises can indicate loose screws, sheet metal or unsecured ductwork. It may also be happening if the lower furnace motor not being balanced properly. Humming noises are normal to an extent as the fan motor will make some noise, but if it becomes disruptive you may need a new furnace. Squealing and screeching noises usually mean that the blower motor has become damaged or worn out. These two noises can also be due to a deteriorating belt, a loose bearing, or a problem with the pulley that holds the belt.
5. Black soot around heater vents. Your furnace has ventilation ducts that can be opened and closed. They have dampers that can be adjusted so you can control and direct the airflow. If you notice an accumulation of soot around them, your furnace is emitting too much CO2. This makes it harder to keep your home clean and can create excess dryness in your home. Dry air can cause dry eyes, itchy throats and respiratory issues.
Furnace Heating Inspections, Tune Ups, Repair, Replacement Services & More in Manhattan, New York
How many of these signs apply to your furnace? The more that apply, the more you should consider replacing your furnace. Contact NY NJ AC Connection for a consultation today!